Wednesday, February 25, 2009

 

!!! A Shocking Revelation !!!

It turns out that the book I've been writing isn't called MIND PLAGUE after all. In fact, I've never written a book that was called what I thought it was called.

PLAGUE YEAR, as you know, began as THE INVISIBLE SEA. It briefly became THE ARCHOS PLAGUE and then DEATHLINE before my editor and the marketing folks at Ace struck on PLAGUE YEAR, which, in the end, is the perfect title.

They wanted to call the second book WAR YEAR but I said, hey, the first book actually covers a span of thirteen months. PLAGUE YEAR makes sense. The second book only covers a few weeks. WAR YEAR is nonsensical. Plus there's one big especially scary afternoon in the story. How about WAR DAY? I said. No, how about PLAGUE WAR? they said.

Meanwhile, I'd originally conceived of the third book as FINAL HOUR. What a lovely countdown that would have been. PLAGUE YEAR. WAR DAY. FINAL HOUR. Maybe it's a bit too cerebral, but, wow, they'd look *great* together on a shelf.

Alas, once we changed the second title, the countdown was out. Also, it's wise indeed to run with a key word. PLAGUE THIS. PLAGUE THAT. I've been thinking MIND PLAGUE all this time. Instead, welcome to PLAGUE ZONE.

It does make for a catchy threesome. YEAR. WAR. ZONE.

Be afraid. :)

Labels:


Comments:
I think Whitley Strieber and Jim Kunetka might have been upset with the War Day title. :-)

Their book with the same name was one of the best post-nuclear war stories I've ever read.

Can't wait to read PLAGUE ZONE!

Cheers!
- Rebecca D from Upstate NY
 
Woo! I only have nine more months to wait!

Did you get to draw what you think the cover should look like this time?

-kat
 
Mind Plague kept reminding me of Spider Robinson's Mindkiller. . I think Plague Zone rocks! Commercial but cool at the same time. . nice one, sir. .
 
Thanks, Rebecca! More non-secret info on the WAR DAY on my Art Gallery page at
http://www.jverse.com/gallery.html

Katster, I did sketch something out for MIND PLAGUE, er, PLAGUE ZONE, but it's pretty laughable. I think I'm going to wait to post it until I see the real cover, then we can do a comparison and make fun of my kindergarten-level art skills... :P

Captain Williams, indeed. Maybe that was part of the appeal for me. MINDKILLER is one of my Top 10 All-Time Favorite science fiction novels. Excellent, excellent stuff.
 
Jeff, I really like the new title. In the end though, I just want what's between the covers.
...of the book, that is!

I know you've worked really hard on this series and we all are excited to see this next one!
 
Woo Hoo! I'm in the Zone!
 
Hehe, the mentions of Mindkiller remind me of the time a couple of friends decided that I needed to walk over the MacDonald Bridge. And then we stopped midway across the span and dropped pennies in the harbour below. Thankfully, I didn't lose my hat.

I suppose that counts as things to do in Halifax before you're dead... ;)

Anyway, that's one of my favorites, too, so yeah, we're in good company here. :)

-kat
 
PLAGUE ZONE - not bad!
Zone is a good word.
 
Kat, that's an awesome scene in the book. Just be glad noone kidnapped you and then hooked you up to a machine afterwards...

Lou, Lou, Lou, what would *you* have called Book Three in that alternate universe in which THE INVISIBLE SEA was a Pyr release? :)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]